Friday 15 September 2017

Event: Chung Ying Blogger's Banquet

Chung Ying Garden is one of Birmingham's best known Chinese restaurants, with a reputation that stretches back over 30 years.


I was invited to sample nearly 100 dim sum at the Chinatown restaurant alongside some of Birmingham's finest food bloggers.

Famed for the variety of dim sum on offer, Chung Ying Garden serves up nearly 400 different dim sum, and we were able to try nearly 100 of these on the night.




Above the main restaurant on Thorp Street is a banqueting suite that's available for private hire. A great location for birthday's and celebrations, the room is big enough for a sizeable function.

After a welcome drink, we were seated at the table and the food began to come in. One by one, each dish was laid out on two long tables, and it was clear that nobody would be leaving hungry.


As a gluten free diner, William Wong was able to easily talk me through each dish and exactly which ones I could and couldn't eat. Many of the dumpling dishes are made from rice and not wheat, with the tell-tale sign being that many of these where white and steamed.

Char Siu Braised Noodles

Chicken Feet



It was great to see someone so knowledgable available to guide me through the menu which made the whole experience so much easier; thank you William!

Dry Beef Ho Fun

Egg White and Diced Vegetable Fried Rice

Singapore Noodles

Seafood Fried Udon

Onto the dishes; there are too many to go through individually, but I will share with you my favourites and also some of the more unusual dishes.

Singapore Noodles



Some of my favourites included the Pan Fried Turnip Paste, King Prawn and Vegetable Crystal Dumplings, Steamed Beef with Ginger and Spring Onion, Dry Beef Ho Fun, Steamed King Prawn Dumplings and Singapore Noodles.


Steamed King Prawn Dumplings

I tried the Ox Tendons and this may sound scary, but was actually delicious. Similarly, who knew that Pan Fried Turnip Paste could be so delightful? It was sweet and had a great texture; don't be afraid to try either next time you're in!

Steamed "Rabbit" King Prawn Dumplings

Steamed Sponge Cake

Won Ton Soup Noodles

Some of the more unusual dishes included Chicken Feet (I tried just a tiny bit of this but sorry guys, I still can't stomach it!) and Steamed Honeycomb Tripe in Satay Sauce (sorry, I couldn't even try this!)

Steamed Ox Tripe with Ginger and Spring Onions

Steamed Ox Tendons

There was also Congee on offer, a kind of rice porridge, which was a very healthy option and something I have never seen before.

It was great to try so many new dishes at Chung Ying Central and the hospitality was, as always, a pleasure. The team and dirctors here are incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgable, and I always thoroughly enjoy my time at any of the Chung Ying Group restaurants.


*Thank you for the invite EV Agency and Chung Ying. I was invited to dine as a guest of the restaurant.




No comments:

Post a Comment