Wednesday 16 December 2015

Food Review: Revolution Birmingham


Vodka Revolution was at one time, my favourite place to go for drinks. There was one incident at university when I somehow ended up with the chilli shot on the shot roulette, but I digress.

Revolution, as it is now known, is quite different, having changed names, upped the food offering and given the decor a makeover.



I arrived at Revolution on Broad Street at lunchtime and was greeted by a really friendly waiter. Given the choice of tables, I opted for a padded booth.


We started off with drinks, of course, but being a lunch the drinks were non alcoholic. I tried a Naked Sunset, a blend of mango and passionfruit purees with fresh lime, orange and pineapple juice and lemonade. This was light and refreshing, whilst my companion had a Whisky Sour which really woke him up!

The drinks menu is huge, with plenty of choice based around of course, vodka, non vodka spirits, shooters, as well as non alcoholic cocktails too. Intriguingly, there's also a make your own cocktail option which I would have loved to have tried. We were told that they make 69 different cocktails, and that the bars are arranged so they can be made quickly.



Onto the food, I chose a cheeseburger and went skinny, which meant I went without the bun. I love the way that restaurants offer this option, as it's great for gluten free diners like me.  I also tried the sweet potato fries, which was beyond exciting, as sweet potato fries are so rarely gluten free!!


My companion had the glazed roast chicken, half a roast chicken glazed in chipotle BBQ, served with red slaw and fries.

The burger came with a slice of tomato, smoked cheddar and mayo and was served with red slaw. I also opted to add on an avocado, because who doesn't love avocado?


The portion sizes for both our meals were pretty big, and we did have trouble finishing off our dishes, but that has never been a bad thing in my book. The sweet potato fries were literally a mountain, but very crunchy on the outside.

Both of our meals were tasty, and miles away from what I was expecting. The chicken was tender and served with a lovely sauce, the slaw was fresh and the fries were crunchy and tasted just cooked. I would have preferred the burger to be slightly less cooked, but I hadn't asked for this.


To round off, we were pretty naughty and had the Salted Caramel Chocolate Fondue to share. In reality, I ate most if it, oh well! This was an absolutely divine combination of melted chocolate and salted caramel in a huge pot, surrounded by breadsticks (I didn't eat these), strawberries and marshmallows to dip. This does usually come with banana too, but sadly they were out of this when I visited. The fruit and fondue was such a crowdpleaser, and I tried my best to polish off the sauce when the fruit was finished.




I was really impressed with the service, atmosphere, decor and cleanliness of the restaurant. The staff were super helpful, the interior is fabulous with industrial touches, but still cosy, and cleanliness was also excellent.


The food itself was of a very good quality, and the allergen information is fantastic and very clear. The standard menu is clearly marked to say what is gluten free, and the chef was happy to adapt where necessary and able.


Overall? I'd definitely come back. There are also some fantastic food offers, with a daily dish available at a special price which I'd be interested to try. There are also offers available if you sign up to the Revolution Card.

*I was invited to dine as a guest of Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment